Nursing revalidation support at Thornbury Community Services (TCS)
At Thornbury Community Services (TCS), we have an expert team to support our nurses through their revalidation. Our dedicated Supervisions and Appraisals Team are qualified nurses with extensive experience. As registrants, they have a thorough knowledge of the requirements for your revalidation and are there to support you through each stage.
What is revalidation in nursing?
Nurse revalidation is a method in which you renew your nurse registration to ensure you can continue your practice throughout your nursing career and maintain compliance with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
Revalidation helps nurses to:
- Maintain knowledge, skills and ability to practise within specific nursing fields
- Meet and maintain the nursing code in their careers
- Continue professional development
- Engage in professional nursing networks, events and discussions
How often do nurses revalidate?
Nurses are required to revalidate every three years on the date they have to renew their registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). For example, if your renewal date is in July, then the 1st of July is the date you must revalidate.
Nursing revalidation requirements:
There are several requirements and actions to complete for your revalidation to show you have and will maintain your skillset, knowledge and safe practice as a nurse. For your revalidation, you’re required to:
- Complete 450 practice hours
- Complete 35 hours of continual professional development (CPD), which includes 20 hours of participatory learning
- Obtain 5 pieces of feedback relating to your practice
- Create 5 written reflective accounts
- Complete a reflective discussion
- Complete the health and character declaration
- Have current professional indemnity
- Complete the revalidation and confirmation to register this information with the NMC
How TCS supports nurses with their revalidation
If TCS is your primary employer, we will:
- Arrange and undertake annual appraisal meetings
- Offer annual supervision sessions
- Arrange and undertake a confirmation meeting at least three months before your renewal/revalidation date
- Signpost any online development opportunities
- Provide a guide to revalidation with helpful tips
- Most importantly, be here to support you throughout the process
Here’s what our nurses say about their revalidation experience with TCS
“The revalidation process with Thornbury Community Services was seamless. My revalidation supervisor Julia was very knowledgeable in her clinical expertise when taking me through my first-ever revalidation. Julia was patient and accommodating throughout the process. I felt fully supported the entire time with Julia and TCS.”
"I had my first nurse revalidation with TCS in September 2016. The idea of revalidating seemed daunting, but I was surprised at how easy it was. I already had evidence for my revalidation, which I hadn't considered, such as cards, appraisal meeting records, and verbal feedback. TCS were helpful during my revalidation and made me feel comfortable through each stage."
“Recently, I had my revalidation with Supervision and Appraisal Lead, Julia. She was very helpful, and I always got quick responses to my emails when trying to contact her. The experience was positive and stress-free. I felt reassured that my evaluation to practice was carried out to the highest level, with thanks to the revalidation support offered by TCS.”
Nursing revalidation resources
The NMC has a useful nurse revalidation resources hub on their website containing templates, documents and videos which you can access here.
The Registered College of Nursing (RCN) also has a nurse revalidation hub with guidance, tips and advice on carrying out your revalidation. Take a look at their website here.
Join our TCS Nursing Team
If you’re ready to embark on a rewarding career as a community nurse, we can support you in taking the next steps forward. TCS matches skilled registered nurses to fulfilling community-based roles across the UK, helping to make a positive difference in people’s lives every day. We recruit registered adult nurses (RGN), paediatric nurses (RNC), learning disability and autism nurses (RNLD) and mental health nurses (RMN). Take a look at our latest jobs here or apply with us using the form below. Or contact our team on 0333 323 3762.